Author: Andrew| Date: Wednesday, October 07, 2015
Audacious 3.7 beta 1 was released recently and is available in the WebUpd8 Unrelease/Backports PPA. The new beta version brings various new features such as playlist shuffle by album, record Internet streams and more, along with Qt interface improvements and bug fixes.
For those not familiar with Audacious
, this is a fast, lightweight audio player that’s focused on high audio quality and low system resource usage.
The application ships with plugins for pretty much everything you’d need, like effects, visualisation, desktop integration and much more, along with multiple interfaces: GTK2, GTK3 (not available in our PPA since it requires building a different source; might be discontinued once the Qt interface is fully ready), Qt and Winamp2-like interface which supports Winamp 2 skins.
Here’s Audacious 3.7 beta 1 using the GTK2, Qt and Winamp interfaces:
Changes in Audacious 3.7 beta 1:
- playlists can be shuffled by whole albums rather than single tracks
- an “Edit Lyrics” option has been added to the LyricWiki plugin, which opens the edit page for the current song;
- guessing of missing tag fields can now be disabled;
- decoding and playback of standard input is now possible with e.g. echo file.mp3 | audacious -;
- GTK interface only:
Qt interface improvements:
- Internet streams can be recorded while playing via a simple record button;
- the playlist export window displays supported formats in a drop-down list;
- a new, unified window has been added for managing equalizer presets;
- the user interface automatically adjusts to be more usable on high-resolution screens;
- the Qt interface can be customized with several new appearance setting;
- various small fixes and improvements, such as a visualizer in the info bar, to bring the interface closer to feature-parity with the GTK+ interface;
- plugins ported to Qt:
in dual GTK and Qt builds (such as the ones available in the WebUpd8 PPA), incompatible plugins are hidden to avoid confusion;
various bug fixes.
- Winamp Classic Interface;
- Playlist Manager;
- Search Tool;
- Status Icon;
Install Audacious 3.7 beta 1 in Ubuntu or Linux Mint
Audacious 3.7 beta 1 is available in the WebUpd8 Unreleased/Backports PPA for Ubuntu 15.10, 15.04 and 14.04 (and Linux Mint 17.x) and derivatives. Note that the Audacious packages in our PPAs (both this and the stable packages) are built with GTK2 and Qt interfaces and to use them, select “Audacious” from the menu for the GTK2 interface and “Audacious Qt Interface” for the Qt interface.
To add the PPA and install Audacious 3.7 beta 1, use the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/unstablesudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get instal audacious
Keep in mind that Audacious 3.7 is in beta, so you may encounter issues or incomplete features!
If you’d like to use the latest stable Audacious instead of the beta, see THIS article.
Provided from: Techcrunch.