Author: Andrew| Posted: April 21, 2016 | Updated: 2016-04-21T16:49:22Z
Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS video
Changes in Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
Ubuntu MATE 16.04 ships with MATE 1.12, which includes changes such as:
- fixes and improvements for GTK3 support across the entire MATE Desktop including GTK 3.18 support;
- significantly improved touchpad support, which now supports natural scrolling, 2 finger and 3 finger clicks;
- improved multi monitor support;
- the power applet now displays model and vendor information;
- improved session management which now includes screensaver inhibition while playing media;
- extended systemd support.
Another new default package is MATE Dock Applet, a configurable MATE Panel applet that can display open windows as icons:
TopMenu Applet, the applet that can be used to add a global menu on the MATE panel, is now installed by default. It’s not used by default though so if you want to use it, right click the panel, select “Add to panel” and add “TopMenu” or use the new Mutiny panel layout from MATE Tweak:
- complete overhaul of the user interface, with applications separated in a “Software Boutique” section. It includes a expandable/collapsible “More Details” section for each application, which provides screenshots, source (repository), website, platform and license information;
- added System Specifications page;
- added detection of graphics card (including VirtualBox) including one-click enablement of the graphics-drivers PPA if Nvidia is detected;
- added one-click enablement of the LibreOffice Fresh PPA to continually track stable LibreOffice releases;
- added multiple new applications, including Kodi, Nuvola Player, Pinta, Vivaldi, SparkleShare, GNOME Software, OBS Studio and many others.
Ubuntu MATE Tweak:
- added keyboard led indicator option;
- added launcher (Synapse) option;
- added capability to enable/disable animations;
- added support for Compton hardware compositing for Marco and Metacity;
- added Mutiny panel layout which includes Mate Dock Applet and TopMenu Applet.
Other changes in Ubuntu MATE 16.04:
- improved client-side decoration app theming, with resize area and shadows, minimal style for CSD windows running without a compositor, etc.
- Plank dock was updated to version 0.11 which adds docklets, option (available via Dconf Editor / gsettings) to use multiple docks, and there’s also a new Plank theme for Ubuntu MATE;
- MATE Desktop CPU resource requirements have been reduced across the board;
- Google Chrome and Chromium windows are now considered Compiz windows in fullscreen to avoid tearing;
- much more.
Download Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
Also see the official release announcement.
Provided from: Techcrunch.